IMCO is one of the oldest pocket lighter manufacturers in history. Julius Meister founded in 1907 the Austrian button and metal goods factory, Julius Meister & Co (JMCO). In 1918, After the first world war, they began producing petrol lighters. The business was a success and IMCO made millions of lighters until 2012. IMCO is known around the world for their high quality. They always work.
“IMCO®, the World’s Supreme Lighter since 1918!”
Germany annexed Austria on the 12th-13th of March 1938. All IMCO Triplex lighters produced in the transition phase didn’t have the text “Patent Austria” on the fuel tank anymore. In 1939 all lighters were fitted with “Patent Germany” instead but were still made from nickel-plated brass.
As the war continued, the materials from which the Triplex was made also changed. Instead of nickel-plated brass, all lighters were made from steel (hence the rust found on some lighters from this era) and their fuel tanks were made from Zinc (like this lighter). This was done because brass was needed for the war (bullet/shell casings). Unfortunately, all of this information has not been factually confirmed since all archives were destroyed at the end of the war. Still, this information was gathered from some really helpful and resourceful collectors. If you have any additional info, it would be greatly appreciated.